Friday, July 30, 2010

Gem Holders

Last year I learned to engrave little pictures onto various gemstones using a CO2 laser. I got the best results from lab-grown rubies and sapphires (both corundum) which etched to a frosty image that contrasted nicely with the saturated color of the stones.

I wanted to share the engraved gemstones with other puzzle enthusiasts but the loose stones are easily lost, so I designed and built gem holders on the SD300 using black material.


The flexible tabs allow the gem to be snapped securely into place. Each gem can be removed by pushing it out of the holder through a cavity in the back.


I also built a gem holder using transparent material, which slips into an opaque white holder.

2 comments:

  1. Great Blog! Thanks for writing it. Learning lots about a tool I hope to own soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there Scott, I stumbled across this ol' blog entry from way back when and I have got to say man I love your craft and outstanding talent (and I don't even ever say the word outstanding, probably never have before in my life) and I was wonder if you still dabble around in these such crafts? I have a Brazilian questions and I don't know how to speak Spanish, and I'm not homosexual but what you did there is very sexy. It's hawt. Just. Hawt. I'm assuming there have been advancements in materials used since then, have you tried this process with any other materials? What if I told you that for fun I had designed a really intricate beautiful 3D design for a jewel the very first time I tried a 3D print design software? It's the only time I've ever tried, and I did it beautifully in less than an hour. Could probably do a bunch more if we could make it a practical thing. I don't have a 3D printer. I don't even have a printer. I do on the other hand have a couple k worth of Tektite of the Moldavite-kind. Shaped too. I will check out your other posts, but hey down below is a link to my podcast to send an audio message to it. Please do and let me know if you're possibly willing to make some sort of business arrangement(s).

    ReplyDelete