Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Assorted "stuff"

I'm continually building models and often forget to share them, so here are pictures of some recent projects.

I built a three-piece puzzle in transparent plastic. While it was building I used a permanent marker to add three splashes of color between layers, using the technique from an earlier post.


Once assembled the transparent material catches the light and the colors seem luminous!


I built this simple-but-elegant Mini Stand for iPhone & iPod Touch. While it was building I switched between black and white material to incorporate a subtle, decorative stripe. It's a small model so I built 3 of them side-by-side using no more material than just building 1.


A Thingiverse user created a script for Duplicating House Keys using the free OpenSCAD tool to create the model data. But it only makes keys for old Kwikset KW1 lock cylinders, so I think it'd be interesting to update the script for the newer KW10 models.


This Recursive Reuleaux Triangle is the first model I built that was pre-assembled. The parts were built already-interlocked in grooves so the triangles can slide around freely but they can't come apart.


Pixobox Studio provided the data for this detailed figure of a Human Head. I had reduced its size to 28% to fit it within volume left over for another model I was building. The Z-axis layering is plainly visible at this low resolution, but it has excellent XY surface detail. There's some tiny text on the sidewall, just below the chin.


Here's a view of the back of the statue, showing the surface details in the hair and more tiny text carved into the back wall of the figure.


Last month I ran into a challenge trying to disassemble part of my car. This spring needed to be tightly compressed to open another access panel, but it's offset from the opening where it's awkward to reach with ordinary tools. So I simply built my own tool with the SD300.


So I 3D printed this simple plastic tool, which has two built-in elbows that reach around and compress the spring. The tool has 1cm thick walls, so it was extremely strong...which was lucky because I had to be surprisingly forceful to release the spring completely!

No comments:

Post a Comment